03 January 2009

Whoopee in Hell Mix #5: Solitary Man (a mix for staying in for days at time)


So I realized today that I hadn't left the house in almost four days.

This is not ideal.

In my non-teaching life, I'm a writer (well, a dissertator--which means I'm a writer), and a variety of self-imposed deadlines are fast approaching. I have a scholarly article on Nigeria's ruling party (the People's Democratic Party--an ironic name if ever there was one), and the first chapter of my dissertation, both of which need to be done by the end of the month. so I'm at the desk, suffering from internet-induced ADD, getting little done (but, as my wife would point out, at least I'm showering).

So, here's a mix for the self-imposed shut-ins among us (especially tho
se of us trapped in a tiny, somewhat stinky one-bedroom with a lovely wife and a pile of books to the ceiling).

Whoopee in Hell Mix #5: Solitary Man
  1. Solitude (Soundtrack from The Thing) - Ennio Morricone
  2. Have You Ever Been Lonely? - R.L. Burnside
  3. Solitary Man - Johnny Cash
  4. Just Call Me Lonesome - Elvis Presley
  5. Rockin' Alone In An Old Rockin' Chair - Bob Wills and His Texas Playboys
  6. Solitude - Billie Holiday
  7. A Solitary Life - Richard Thompson
  8. Alone So Far- Old 97's
  9. Shakin' Sugar - Wilco
  10. Lonesome Suzie - The Band
  11. Lonely - Tom Waits
  12. Ballad Of A Lonely Man - Mike Ness
  13. Honk If You're Lonely - Silver Jews
  14. I Can't Stand Myself - James Chance & The Contortions
  15. Mexican Lonelieness - Matt Dillon With Joey Altruda, Joe Gonzalez & Pablo Calogero
  16. Solitude - Black Sabbath
  17. Lonely Town - Stan Ridgway
  18. You and You Alone - Souled American
  19. Bad Fog Of Loneliness - Neil Young
  20. Closing Down My House - Travel By Sea
  21. I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry - Grandpaboy
  22. Lonely Tenement - David Johansen
  23. Alone In The Endzone - Radio Birdman
  24. Lonely Night - Chrissy Zeppy Tembo
  25. Kicked Out The House - De La Soul
  26. Slip Inside This House - Primal Scream
  27. We Live As We Dream, Alone - Gang Of Four
  28. My House - Lou Reed
  29. All By Myself - Johnny Thunders & The Heartbreakers
  30. Just Don't Want To Be Lonely - Blue Magic
  31. Long Lonely Nights - Clyde McPhatter
  32. Lonely Hours - Lowell Fulson
  33. Keep It To Yourself - Sonny Boy Williamson
  34. Lonely Boy Boogie - John Lee Hooker
  35. Lone Wolf - The Blasters
  36. Get Lonely - The Mountain Goats
Get tracks 1-17 here; tracks 18-36 here.

Posted by Brandon


No comments: